Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 1997 18:59:32 GMT
From:      Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newest bt848 driver

> > Something else that needs to be changed is in METEORSETGEO.  The magic
> Well thats what you are supposed to do 8)

Yes, I know that :)

> > By the way, what is the magic number 1.21875 in METEORSETGEO.  Is it
>
> Good Question! The formula in the Bt848 databook is wrong so I came up with
>  my own formula 8)

Right: the formulae in the databook are inconsistent.  I'd like to know
why rather than just plugging in numbers that seem to work.  In particular,
it says that the active portion is (for NTSC)

  754 out of 910 unscaled pixels
  640 out of 780 square pixels
  720 out of 858 CCIR601 pixels

These are all different proportions: 82.86%, 80.15% and 83.92%
respectively.  I also came across a description on NTSC with the
figures given in uS instead of pixels, and that said the active
portion is

  52.4 out of 63.5 microseconds

which is 82.52%, suggesting that the unscaled pixel version is closest
to reality.

Your calculation in the driver for calculating HSCALE corresponds to
the second ratio.  I wonder of you are missing a small piece of image
off the end of each row as a result?

Could you (or someone else with NTSC) change 1.21875 (ie 780/640) to
1.2069 (ie 910/754) in the horizontal scale calculation and see
whether there is junk displayed at the end of each row?

-- Richard