Date:      Sat, 14 Jul 2001 00:40:39 +0100
From:      Mark Drayton <mark.drayton@izr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Vinum mirrored/striped confusion

Hi

I'm trying to set up a machine with a striped and mirrored set for use
with postfix and cyrus. From vinum(8):

  You may want to have the best of both worlds and have both resilience
  and performance.  This is sometimes called RAID-10 (a combination of
  RAID-1 and RAID-0), though again this name is misleading.  With vinum
  you can do this with the following configuration file:

    drive d1 device /dev/da2e
    drive d2 device /dev/da3e
    drive d3 device /dev/da4e
    drive d4 device /dev/da5e
    volume raid setupstate
     plex org striped 512k
       sd length 512m drive d1
       sd length 512m drive d2
       sd length 512m drive d3
       sd length 512m drive d4
     plex org striped 512k
       sd length 512m drive d4
       sd length 512m drive d3
       sd length 512m drive d2
       sd length 512m drive d1

I don't quite understand why mirroring two plexes containing the same
subdisks is beneficial. What happens if, say, disk 1 fails? I imagine
both plexes will be faulty and the volume will be down which (to me)
almost defies the point of mirroring.

    drive d1 device /dev/da2e
    drive d2 device /dev/da3e
    drive d3 device /dev/da4e
    drive d4 device /dev/da5e
    volume raid setupstate
     plex org striped 512k
       sd length 512m drive d1
       sd length 512m drive d2
     plex org striped 512k
       sd length 512m drive d3
       sd length 512m drive d4

If disk 1 failed with this setup, will the volume still be up with one
of its plexes in the faulty state?

Aside from this possible difference, is one of these two setups going to
perform better (for a mail server) than the other?

Please point me in the right direction if I need to RTFM!

Cheers,

--

Mark Drayton
izR Company Ltd