Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2012 11:02:34 +0200
From:      John Salomon <john@zog.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   No network connectivity to system

Hi,

I'm running 9.0-R on a small fileserver.  I am weirdly unable to make any
connections (tcp, udp, icmp)  to the machine and am hoping someone has some
off-the-cuff ideas.

I violated rule #1 (don't sysadmin while tired) and somehow nuked my ipfw
configuration while attempting to set up NAT via OpenVPN (using IPDIVERT in
my kernel build).  I rebuilt it from memory, but since then, I cannot
connect to the machine at all.

I do not believe that it is ipfw related.  I've tried enabling/disabling
ipfw via sysctl and /etc/rc.conf.  I've flushed all rules, as well as
installed an entirely open ruleset.  I've re-built and booted into a kernel
with all IPFIREWALL-related options (including IPDIVERT) commented out.
 While I had denyhosts installed, it's disabled.  I've tried single user
mode with networking enabled.

The system boots fine.  It NFS-mounts network drives without problem.
 Default gateway and network configuration look fine, it can ping and
connect to both LAN and Internet addresses.  tcpdump sees incoming
connections, but no replies.

Inetd is running.  From the system console itself, I can telnet to all
ports on its IP.  Syslog tells me nothing.  No console messages.

I'm missing something utterly fundamentally idiotically harebrained and I
have no clue what it could be - I'd be endlessly grateful for any tips or
ideas on what to try (beyond an exorcist).

Thanks!

-John

--
John Morgan Salomon