Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 2008 18:00:11 GMT
From:      Torbjorn Granlund <tg@swox.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/127484: [timecounters] Drift problem with FreeBSD 7.0 and 7.1 PRERELEASE

The following reply was made to PR amd64/127484; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Torbjorn Granlund <tg@swox.com>
To: "Paul van Berlo" <pvanberlo@fastmail.fm>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 19:40:24 +0200

 "Paul van Berlo" <pvanberlo@fastmail.fm> writes:

   the issue I was seeing is solved. It appears this is due to a specific
   BIOS setting (FSB Spread Spectrum), which was set to 'Auto' in my case.
   I disabled this, and now my clock runs absolutely fine. There should not
   be any side effects with disabling this option AFAIK.
 =20=20
 Thanks!

 My ASUS board didn't have any such option, but it had some
 "Overclocking" option which was set to "Auto".  I changed this to
 "Standard".  The clock now runs about 20 times closer to reality,
 which is enough for ntpd to work.

 I wonder if there is anything FreeBSD can do to work around these
 silly overclock options.  One would really wish the BIOS defaults
 would be more conservative, and leave it to the tinkerers to play
 around with overclock options.

 --=20
 Torbj=F6rn