Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 15:20:27 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Brian Handy <handy@lambic.physics.montana.edu>
Cc:        "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>, FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Vaio vs Portege plus modems

In message <Pine.BSF.4.10.10003301419130.26326-100000@lambic.physics.montana.edu> Brian Handy writes:
: Just for the record, what is the deal with the WinModems?

In order to save less than $5 per unit, they move some or all of the
processing power needed to run the modem into the host processor.
There is no standard way of doing this.  Some modems are almost fully
functional, leaving only compression and/or error correction to the
host processor.  Other soft modems are little more than DSPs wired to
the pci bus.  These soft modems require lots of hand springs to get
the proper signals out the right interface.  There are many timing
issues, if I'm told correctly, about when you need to do things.

They really are nasty kludges that should be taken out behind the
barn and shot in the head.  Too bad they predominate so much.

I'll take my PCI controller based modem over these aberrations
anyday.

Warner