Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 21:16:07 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        David Miller <dmiller@search.sparks.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NCR/FXP and coredumps

On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 10:50:47PM -0500, David Miller wrote:
> Two item:
>
> 1) I managed to crash an intel N440BX mobo with an fxp card and the
> onboard ncr drivers.  Lots of network traffic (ping floods) and disk IO
> (rawio in parallel on two disks) took it down in something like two
> hours. I know this is a known bug, I'm just offering core dumps and
> testing services in fixing it if anyone wants to take a stab at it.

DG has looked at this extensively and the current feeling is that this is
a hardware bug.  Using the sym driver instead of the ncr driver
apparently helps somewhat, but the problem still happens.  The generally
recommended option is to buy an Adaptec SCSI controller and use that
instead of the on-board SCSI.  That works flawlessly.

-- Brooks