Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 2002 13:16:30 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Charles Pelletier <fozekizer@attbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cost estimates?

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 11:20:13PM -0500, Charles Pelletier wrote:
> Here's a question for everyone:  I am interested in what kind of price
> estimates exist in regards to the implementation of FreeBSD and SAMBA based
> networks. I only ask because that is exactly what I am doing for the school
> where I teach and want to be able to give cost estimates to the school when
> finished.

That's kind of hard to answer without knowing what the spec is for
your School's network --- how many users, how much space required for
each and so forth.  About the only thing you can say for certain is
that doing it the FreeBSD way will save you thousands on the cost of
software licences.  You should also be able to make some economies on
hardware spec and achieve the same level of performance compared to
most commercial OSes, but it's harder to state definitively how much.

However, you're still going to have to pay for hardware, for the cost
of people to administer the network, consumables, insurance and
probably for some sort of hardware support so you can get equipment
fixed promptly.  It's possible to do all your own hardware support if
you're handy that way but unless you're site is big enough that you
can afford to keep a stock of spares on hand, you'll be spending some
time waiting for parts.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way