Date:      Fri, 1 Jul 2005 10:34:57 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Gareth Bailey <gjbailey@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Vinum subdisk crash

--oGMene/yqpGaEavh

Broken wrapping, unclear attribution, incorrect quotation levels.  It
took five minutes of my time fixing this message to a point where I
could reply to it.

On Thursday, 30 June 2005 at 15:37:56 +0200, Gareth Bailey wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Just to add, I had to type out the above message manually since I can't get
> access to anything with the crashed subdisk on /usr.
> With regard to Greg's requests for information when reporting vinum problems
> as stated on vinumvm.org <http://vinumvm.org>'s website, I can provide the
> following info:
>
>> What problems are you having?
>
> My usr.p0.s0 subdisk reports a 'crashed' status
>
>> Supply the output of the *vinum list* command. If you can't start
>> Vinum, supply the on-disk configuration, as described below. If you
>> can't start Vinum, then (and only then) send a copy of the
>> configuration file.
>
> I can't get anything off the system, and its too long to type out!
> (I have the same layout as in the Van Valzah article.)

Would you like a reply like "I have an answer, but it's too long to
type out"?  Do you really expect me to go and re-read Bob's article?
This, along with your hard-to-read message, is a good way to be
ignored.

>> Supply an *extract* of the file */var/log/messages*. Restrict the
>> extract to the same time frame as the history file. Again, each
>> line contains a timestamp at the beginning, so you will have no
>> difficulty in establishing which data is of relevance.
>
> 30 Jun server /kernel: ad0s1h: hard error reading fsbn 59814344 of 29126985-29127080 (ad0s1 bn 59814344; cn 3723 tn 69 sn 2) trying PIO mode
> 30 Jun server /kernel: ad0s1h: hard error reading fsbn 59814344 of 29126985-29127080 (ad0s1 bn 59814344; cn 3723 tn 69 sn 2) status=59 error=40

You have a hardware problem with /dev/ad0.

> 30 Jun server /kernel: vinum: usr.p0.s0 is crashed by force
> 30 Jun server /kernel: vinum: usr.p0 is faulty
> 30 Jun server /kernel: vinum: usr is down

And this suggests that your configuration is  non-resilient.

> I hope this information helps, and that someone can give me some
> advice!

Yes.  Replace the disk.

Greg
The virus contained in this message was detected by LEMIS anti-virus.

Finger grog@FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.

--oGMene/yqpGaEavh

--oGMene/yqpGaEavh--