Date:      Sun, 08 Mar 2015 19:14:47 +0100
From:      Piotr Kubaj <pkubaj@riseup.net>
To:        Chris H <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No sound on 10.1-RELEASE

On 03/07/15 01:55, Chris H wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 00:08:38 +0100 Piotr Kubaj <pkubaj@riseup.net> wrote
>
>> I've got MSI X99 motherboard and am using it with UEFI installation of
>> 10.1 (BIOS mode doesn't work with FreeBSD). At first, sound worked
>> properly (even in KDE), but now it doesn't. I'm not sure what happened,
>> since snd_hda is in kernel (I use GENERIC). I've checked all possible
>> values of hw.snd.default_unit and turned off KDE to check what happens
>> when doing cat /dev/random > /dev/dsp (it does nothing).
>> Attached below is dmesg and /dev/sndstat.
>>
> -----8<-------
>
>> Installed devices:
>> pcm0: <NVIDIA (0x0071) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
>> pcm1: <NVIDIA (0x0071) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
>> pcm2: <NVIDIA (0x0071) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
>> pcm3: <NVIDIA (0x0071) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
>> pcm4: <Realtek ALC892 (Rear Analog 5.1/2.0)> (play/rec) default
>> pcm5: <Realtek ALC892 (Front Analog)> (play/rec)
>> pcm6: <Realtek ALC892 (Rear Digital)> (play)
>> pcm7: <USB audio> (rec)
> Honestly, this could potentially go a lot of different directions;
> software/driver(s)/setup...
> It might be helpful to get the pinouts. The kernel
> (dmesg(8)) will provide it for you. You can see them by;
> loader.conf(5)
> adding the following to /boot/loader.conf:
>
> boot_verbose="YES"
>
> or by simply selecting boot verbose on the loader menu
> 6 --> boot verbose
>
> and then getting the results from dmesg(8)
> /var/run/dmesg.boot
>
> If everything looks as anticipated, you might check that
> your software is using the right sound system (OSS).
> I've had very good experiences on these sound systems by
> installing
> audio/xfce4-mixer
> doing so, always seems to get the correct settings for
> everything on these boards -- even if you never use
> the application.
> Because these boards can be so troublesome where sound
> is concerned; I used to have a script that would both
> check, as well as set everything up. But I can't seem
> to locate it ATM.
>
> HTH
>
> --Chris

I'm not sure what may be wrong in dmesg.boot so I've uploaded it here:
http://pastebin.com/pP0KXp4v

KDE is definitely using OSS as chosen in its settings (I also use its
own mixer which can do the same as Xfce's). I also use VLC's Phonon
backend because Gstreamer is said to cause problems, but that also works
on 3 other computers.