Date:      Thu, 10 Nov 2011 17:25:59 -0500
From:      Joshua Boyd <boydjd@jbip.net>
To:        Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
Cc:        "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>, "Vogel, Jack" <jack.vogel@intel.com>, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Subject:   Re: em0 watchdog timeout

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 6:51 AM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>wrote:

>  em0@pci0:0:25:0:        class=0x020000 card=0x10bd15d9 chip=0x10bd8086
> rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
>    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
>    device     = 'Intel 82566DM Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (82566DM)'
>    class      = network
>    subclass   = ethernet
>    bar   [10] = type Memory, range 32, base 0xdf900000, size 131072,
> enabled
>    bar   [14] = type Memory, range 32, base 0xdf924000, size 4096, enabled
>    bar   [18] = type I/O Port, range 32, base 0x1820, size 32, enabled
>    cap 01[c8] = powerspec 2  supports D0 D3  current D0
>    cap 05[d0] = MSI supports 1 message, 64 bit enabled with 1 message
>    cap 13[e0] = PCI Advanced Features: FLR TP
>

> And note that this problem only raises it nasty head very few weeks...

I have had the same problem, as shown here:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2011-June/063092.html

According to your pciconf output, your card either doesn't support MSI-X,
or you have MSI-X disabled.

Check the hw.pci.enable_msix sysctl and make sure that it is set to 1. Also
check to make sure there aren't any BIOS settings blocking MSI-X.

Apparently the older Intel gigabit cards don't support MSI-X, and as such
get starved.

However, I haven't had the problem rear it's ugly head in quite a while,
but that's with the newest 8.2-STABLE tree. No idea if it's just chance or
if something was actually fixed.

When it was happening to me, it would also happen about every week or two
and I'd have to reboot the server.

--
Joshua Boyd

E-mail: boydjd@jbip.net