Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2017 20:46:51 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Friedrich Locke <friedrich.locke@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, openldap-software@openldap.org
Subject:   Re: ldap nithmare

On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 15:30:32 -0300, Friedrich Locke wrote:
> The way my /etc/hosts files is configured changes the kind of error
> response. Please, realize i am not using dns, only hosts file:
>
> When my /etc/hosts file has this line below:
>
> 139.59.138.203		etosha.my.domain etosha
>
> I get this:
>
> sioux@etosha$ ldapwhoami -Y GSSAPI
> SASL/GSSAPI authentication started
> ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Other (e.g., implementation specific)
> error (80)
>          additional info: SASL(-1): generic failure: GSSAPI Error:  No
> credentials were supplied, or the credentials were unavailable or
> inaccessible. (unknown mech-code 0 for mech unknown)
>
> The kerberos ticket to ldap/etosha.my.domain is retrieved normally.
>
> But, when /etc/hosts changes to:
>
> 139.59.138.203          etosha etosha.my.domain
>
> Then:
>
> sioux@etosha$ ldapwhoami -Y GSSAPI
> SASL/GSSAPI authentication started
> ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Local error (-2)
>          additional info: SASL(-1): generic failure: GSSAPI Error:
> Miscellaneous failure (see text)known (Server (ldap/etosha@MY.DOMAIN)
> unknown)
>
> The kerberos ticket to ldap/etosha.my.domain is not retrieved.
>

> Why am i given this results ?
> May someone give me advices on these regards ?

The format of /etc/hosts requires the entries to be in a
specific order: address, official name, aliases. So if a
program explicitely looks up the official name, the 2nd
entry will be retrieved.

See "man 5 hosts" for details.

(If you didn't do it yet: Create an entry for localhost
with 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts - many programs complain when
this entry is missing.)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany