Date:      Sat, 04 Jan 2003 01:37:11 +0100
From:      Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Saving a partially rotten IBM DTLA-307030 Harddisk

Barry Pederson <bp@barryp.org> writes:

> The thing I wasn't sure about was... does it get replaced with a new
> drive? or just some other returned drive of the same flaky model that
> they've reformatted and mapped out the bad sectors?

Well... you never know, but they ship refurbished used
equipment. Whatever that means. Our returned DTLA-307045 failed again
after some months. I wonder if it's possible to call the IBM support and
ask for a different model. I'd even take a set of used DPTA drives of
same capacity.

> IIRC the website where you got an online RMA only guaranteed a
> refurbished drive.  Can't tell right now though since the
> above-mentioned URL only says warranty support is moving to Hitachi in a
> few days.

Huh. If that's any good... I guess I'd better buy a spare drive.

--
Matthias Andree