Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:06:57 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Tim Preece <tim@cpio.nildram.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 08:23:17PM +0000, Tim Preece wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having problems sending mail from my computer to any of the mailing lists. I am using sendmail on 4.5-stable i386.
>
> The error I am getting back from sendmail is:
>
> Deferred: 450 : Helo command rejected: Host not found.

FreeBSD's mailserver is *very* picky. If your host announces itself as
xxx.domain.com in the initial HELO greeting, it will attempt a lookup
of the given host. If that fails, it will terminate the conversation.
Configure your MTA to announce itself as it should be seen from the
outside, and not to use it's internal fqdn.

Under sendmail you can add this to your mail-server's mc file:

    define(`confDOMAIN_NAME', `domain.com')dnl

--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>