Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 15:37:35 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015364255.0926de@mired.org>
To:        Rickard "Borgmäster" <doktorn@realworld.nu>, Dave Cantrell <phaedrus@alltel.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating installed packages/ports

Rickard Borgm=E4ster <doktorn@realworld.nu> types:
> I've now completed the system upgrade 4.3-4.5 using make buildworld
> etc. Now, which is the best way to upgrade my ports and packages?
>=20
> Removing everything with pkg_delete and then installing new packages
> with pkg_add or making from ports is of course one way. Not the
> easiest but still.
>=20
> What do you recommend?

Start by installing the portupgrade port. The next step depends on
what the ports are. The simple case is to do 'pkgdb -F' to get it to
build it's dependency database, then do 'portupgrade --all', and it'll
upgrade them all for you automatically, and keep the dependencies
straight. I don't know if it does them in an order such that all the
things a port depends on are upgraded before the port is upgraded, but
that would be nice.

On the other hand, if you've got a database, you might want to do that
one by hand, so you can dump the database to a portable format, and
reload it afterwards if needed.

Any port that runs a daemon you probably want to deal with specially,
so that you can verify that the daemon starts and stops properly after
you upgrade the port.

I'm sure other people can come up with other reasons for doing this.

Dave Cantrell <phaedrus@alltel.net> types:
> To my (admittedly) limited knowledge, just because you upgrade from 4=
.X to=20
> 4.X+1 doesn't necessarily mean you need to upgrade (all) the ports/pa=
ckages. =20
> If this is incorrect, someone please let me know, because I am about =
to=20
> upgrade from 4.4 to 4.5 myself

Correct, it doesn't mean that.  On the other hand, it is possible that
a port built on 4.X will not work on 4.X+1 for some reason. I always
upgrade all the packages that require compilation when going from 4.x
to 4.x+1. When tracking -stable or -current, I upgrade the port if it
has changed since I last updated the system. I figure that if a port
breaks because of a system change, that'll cause the port to be
ugpraded, so upgrading all the ports that have changed since the last
system/ports upgrade means I manage to avoid most of those
pitfalls. Or course, when the port breaks because of an unrelated
system change, someone has to find it, and that someone may well be
you.

=09<mike
--
Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>=09=09=09http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Independent WWW/Perforce/FreeBSD/Unix consultant, email for more inform=