Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 02:07:20 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   vfs patch to make vfs kld friendly...

well... I've gotten a patch to make the VFS layer kld friendly... it
works fine over here.. and as an included bonus you can continue to use
lkm's... :)

url: http://freefall.freebsd.org/~jmg/vfs.patch

review/comments/suggestions welcome

overview:
The kld system is based upon the idea that everything is initalized
through SYSINIT.  As it stands, there are a few routines that do inital
VFS layer work, but it does all the work for the staticly compiled VFS
layers.  This isn't compatible with kld system.

These patches simply rework how initalization of the VFS layer happens
and adds a SYSINIT to initalize each layer.  I modified vfs_opv_init
to operate on one struct vnodeopv_desc instead of a NULL terminated
array of pointers to vnodeopv_desc.  These changes have no visable
effect on a non-kld system.

I had to add a function vfs_mod_handler that handles the module
load/unload events that the kld system requires/deliveres.  Even on a
non-kld system, a module load event will be delivered to staticly
compiled objects, but I'm running a normal kernel with these patches
without problems.

P.S.  Anybody have a good idea of what I should do upon MOD_SHUTDOWN?

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD