Date:      10 Jan 2003 14:41:06 -0800
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Hari Bhaskaran <subscr@spider.netmails.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recovering data from a faulty drive

Hari Bhaskaran <subscr@spider.netmails.net> writes:

> Is there way to backup the partition info somewhere? (may be a floppy?)

AFAIK, the partition info is entirely within the first sector of the
slice.  The slice info is entirely within the first sector of the disk.
(There's other info in them too, so restoring a sector might change
more than partition info.)  Having already given an example of "dd",
I'll leave the way to back them up as an exercise for the reader.

I thought I mentioned this, but the "disklabel" program can output
partition info in ASCII format which you can backup and restore
from too.  A better method than "dd", for general purposes.  And
fdisk can give you slice info in ASCII for backup (but you'd have
to restore by hand).