Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:00:09 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        cpghost@cordula.ws
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: HZ=1000 on slow CPUs considered harmful?

> Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:48:21 +0100
> From: cpghost@cordula.ws
>
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 07:56:03PM +0000, Robert Watson wrote:
> > In 6-CURRENT, HZ is 1000 for amd64, i386, and ia64, but 100 for other
> > platforms (i.e., ppc, arm, and alpha).  I'm not opposed to merging the HZ
> > change to RELENG_5 at some point, but given that occasional nits, such as
> > the TCP nit, are turning up, I think it's worth waiting until after 5.4.
>
> Wouldn't that be a problem for slow CPUs like VIA C3 (EPIA) or GEODE
> (Soekris)? For fast CPUs, it's not that much overhead, but for slow
> CPUs?
>
> Can HZ remain user-configurable?
>
> > Robert N M Watson
>
> Thanks,
> -cpghost.
>
> --
> Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/

As far as I know, no one is talking about removing the knob. I believe
the issue is the default value changing from 100 to 1000. There are many
boxes that would not be very happy with 1000. I'm sure that there are
many 75 MHz Pentiums and 66 MHz 486s still running FreeBSD and even running
V5.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)