Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 2014 10:25:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org>
To:        Dan Daley <dddaley@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, jenkins-admin@freebsd.org, "freebsd-java@freebsd.org" <freebsd-java@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.join(Native Method), invalid argument

On Sun, 23 Feb 2014, Dan Daley wrote:

> I ran into this issue about a year and a half ago.  If this is the
> same issue, it had something to do with the way an IPv4 address is
> bound to IPv6. I also ran into the issue on some older flavors of
> linux, though it seems that the issue didn't happen on newer flavors.
>
> Sorry, I don't remember more details now.  But, maybe someone else can
> shed more light on the IPv4/IPv6 issue with UDP in Java.

Sorry, I missed this thread.  Craig, did you try forcing
IPv4 by setting java.net.preferIPv4Stack=true?  You can
do it on the run line with -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
or setting it in the code with System.setProperty
("java.net.preferIPv4Stack", "true").

I have to do this for our own applications that use
multicast.  I think the JRE recognizes that the OS
has IPv6 enabled and tries to use that instead of
IPv4.

--
DE