Date:      14 May 2003 20:13:15 -0700
From:      "Paul Turley" <pturley@aracnet.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   A modest proposal for better errno values...

Let me begin by assuring you all I am by no means a BSD hacker, just a user
and fan, an interested party if you will, and so my thoughts are
disposable; my vote isn't to be counted. But here are my thoughts, for
those who care to read them.

To put this in some perspective, the various versions of Apple Pascal I ran
on my various versions of Apple ][ had a global variable which modified the
system behavior in several ways. The variable was not exactly in plain
sight, but was visible to a user who took more than a cursory glance at the
software and/or its documentation. The Boolean variable "STUPID"
--documented as STUdent Programmer ID-- was set TRUE by default, as shipped
by Apple Computer.

Apple has requested that the FreeBSD project change an identifier in the
FreeBSD source, as Apple finds the current identifier somewhat indelicate.
There seems to be some feeling that Apple has contributed little to the
FreeBSD project. So the question seems obvious: Just how much, in tangible
terms, does Apple want this changed? And what, of equivalent value to the
project, are they prepared to offer in exchange for this favor?

Be careful of the precedent you set.

--pht