Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2000 14:56:36 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   build-meisters

I'd like to solicit comments on pr 17304.  This pr makes it possible
to build a kld outside of the kernel source area.  This is useful in
our enviornment because we have lots of different FreeBSD machines
around and we build modules for embedded systems on one sthat are
"close" to the actual version, but not necessarily the same.  These
minro patches make that practice safe.  By defining KERN to be
/usr/src/sys/kern, or whereever you have your kernel (in my case
/h/imp/tsc/FreeBSD-tsc-4/kern).

Can anybody comment on this?  I know I'm slightly abusing KERN, but
having a new variable KERNBASE or KERNBASEDIR seemed too much.,

The second patch in the PR is the one I'm interested in feedback on.
It has survived at least one buildworld here.

Warner