Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2017 13:25:07 -0700
From:      Mel Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>
To:        Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FLAVORS in quarterly branches

On 10/12/2017 00:58, Guido Falsi wrote:
> On 10/12/2017 01:04, Adam Weinberger wrote:
>>> On 11 Oct, 2017, at 16:52, Mel Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Will the FLAVORS feature be MFH'd to 2017Q4, or will it first show up with 2018Q1? I'm not going to flavor public ports just yet, but I have some local ports that would benefit from the feature.
>>
>> Categorically, if it lands in HEAD this quarter, it wouldn't appear in quarterly until 2018Q1. Major new features without the kinks ironed out is exactly what shouldn't get merged to quarterly.
>>

> AFAIK no flavor features can be committed to the official repo yet (a
> commit hook will prevent the commit).
>
> The feature is in for private testing.
>
> My understanding is that commits with flavors will be allowed to head
> starting in 2018, so the first quarterly with flavors in it should
> happen for 2018Q2. But, being the feature in by 2018Q1 backported
> updates may include flavors.

I'm aware of all of this from the official feature announcement. I
figured the earliest it would appear in quarterly would be 2018Q1. Per
my original message, I'm not looking to flavour my ports in the public
repo just yet, but use the feature internally and wanted to know when it
would hit quarterly so I can put a timeframe on production use.