Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 12:51:59 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   somewhat ot: reverse dns

Hello!

I apologize for bringing more noise to already noisy list, but I
need some generic advice on usage of reverse dns and my googling
doesn't turn up anything useful. I thought this list is likely to
have people on it who are at least able to point me in the right
direction. Please reply directly to me.

The whole issue is more 'political' than technical. To put it
concisely: is there any justification for requiring the IPs that
try to access one of my web servers to have reverse DNS defined?

Now for more details. One of the servers we are using to serve our
web content is Lotus Domino server running on Windows NT, situated
inside our firewall. The thing is set up so that requests to port
80 on the firewall are forwarded to the internal NT/Domino server.

Since I thought this would provide some minuscle amount of
additional security, I set up the firewall so that requests are not
forwarded if they come from IP address that does not have reverse
DNS defined.

Now some guy who doesn't have reverse DNS defined contacted me and
said that 'this kind of behaviour just is not acceptable'.

Well, I think it is perfectly acceptable, but I would like to find
some documentation to back up my opinion (that is, if my opinion
*is* correct to some measurable extent). Is it defined somewhere in
RFCs or other widely accepted standards that one *should* have
reverse DNS?

TIA,
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* Be sure to use DEVICE=EXXON to screw up your environment.