Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 08:57:58 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Fred Clift <fred@clift.org>
To:        Dermot McNally <dermot@traveldev.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Numbering of fxp devices

> other way around. The order stayed this way for a couple of weeks during
> which I tracked -stable and made world frequently, but after one
> upgrade, the box came up with the on-board card claiming to be fxp0.
> However, not long afterwards, it reverted to the original behaviour.
>
> Now, obviously the numbering doesn't matter all that much. What _does_
> matter is if the numbering is unpredictable at boot time (worst case) or
> if it may be reversed after a remote upgrade. Is this down to pure fluke
> or can I lock down the order in some way?

I am not directly aware of what recent changes would have caused the
change in probe order, but I can give you some ideas about where to look
and then offer my comments about what I belive would be ideal.

in FreeBSD <= 3.X it appears that all pci-to-pci busses were probed first,
and then devices on them were probed in some fixed order.

In FreeBSD >= 4.0 the 'newbus' code replaced a lot of the old bus code
including probing and now the buses are probed kind of in a depth-first
fashion, finding all devices on a particular bus and then moving on to
another.  Aparently, from your results, the order that the busses are
probed has been changed or something similar.

I pitty the guy with whom I exchanged emails a while back that is running
a 6 or 8 port 'router' all with fxp cards.  He was running 3.4 last I knew
and was planning on waiting a LONG time before upgrading to 4.X because of
the relative difficulty of figuring out which cards when where.

What I would find to be the best of all possible worlds is if you could
wire-down pci-card instances to particular instances of a driver - ie I
want the first card on bus 2 to be fxp0 and the second card on bus 1 to be
fxp1, etc...  Of course this would depend on finding the busses in the
right order, but...

Unfortunately, I'm, uh, somewhat unexperience in this (and most of the
rest) of the code and when I looked at it, all I got was a headache.  How
hard would it be to either provide a consistent mapping or to allow the
hard-wiring of devices to drivers?

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fred@clift.org -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.