Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 02:43:28 +0000
From:      Arman Hazairin <arman@ai3.net>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        Peter Edwards <peter.edwards@isocor.ie>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP connection hang

David Greenman wrote:

> >> Btw, I convert the binary file that i want to transmit into text using
> >> uuencode, and finaly i can transfer the file.
> >> But still no answer for this 'strange' behaviour.
> >
> >I hear a bell ringing in the distance.
> >This indicates that the problem is not related to the size of the data, but its
> >content. If the data-link path wasn't 8-bit clean (say, the SCO terminal device
> >was doing cr->cr-lf translations on the TCP packets for example), is it
> >possible that tcpdump shows the incoming (corrupted) packets coming up through
> >bpf but the TCP code discards them because the checksum is invalid? This would
> >explain why the FreeBSD box apparently "sees" the incoming packet, but the TCP
> >stack doesn't respond to it.
>
>    If this is the case, then an examination of the 'netstat -s' stats should
> show this...Arman?
>
> -DG
>
> David Greenman
> Core-team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project

Well, I think we already on the righ track, as splitting the file into
pieces doesn't
do any good, because the first fily could not be transferred. I will
look into hexdump
output to see the byte sequence around 4K.

btw, using netstat and snmp tools, I could see the increment in checksum
received error
in tcp.

before transmission:
netstat -s output:
tcp:
                  405912 discarded for bad checksums
snmp query output:
tcp.tcpInErrs:	  405912

after connection hang:
netstat -s output:
tcp:
                  405919 discarded for bad checksums
snmp query output:
tcp.tcpInErrs:    405919

So, is it mean that SCO implementation has problem, or just wrong setup
in
that SCO box ?

regards,

-arman-
ps. sorry for late response, localtime: 02.30 AM :)