Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 1999 09:02:35 -0700
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
To:        jkoshy@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        hutch@psfc.mit.edu, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TtH Description Correction Request

On Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 11:25:39PM -0700, jkoshy@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:

> B)	Dependencies are not static.  A pseudo-real-life example:
> 	Let us say a user installs `python' from ports/lang/python and
> 	selects a certain set of modules and library wrappers at
> 	installation time.
>
> 	If she later wishes to install Zope (python based web software),
>         then she could discover that her Python installation needed some
>         specific modules enabled that are not enabled by default.
> 	Uninstalling, recompiling and reinstalling python now becomes
> 	necessary.

To make matters worse, suppose the user has already installed other
software which depends upon Python.  Now, she must either uninstall those
ports, uninstall Python, reinstall Python, and reinstall all of the ports
that depend on Python, or she has to "pkg_delete -f" python and screw
up her system's notion of dependencies, or she has to manually save
and restore the appropriate +REQUIRED_BY files, which requires more
understanding of the Ports/Packages Collection than we should expect.

Sigh.

Matt

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> * Stay close to the Vorlon.