Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 95 10:38:31 EAT
From:      Yen-Wei Liu <ywliu@lin.wsl.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fail to mount root after recompiling kernel

> > I recompiled one new kernel for the hope of being able to use Fujitsu MO,
> > finished it, moved it to /kernel.1, rebooting with kernel.1. This time it
> > was worse, FreeBSD failed to mount root sd1a. Ok. I tried to reboot with
> > the original kernel if this was my fault with the options I gave to the
> > new kernel. It still didn't find the root device, even with the original
> > kernel - panic, sync, rebooting.
>
> Let's guess; you're using a bootmanager, and asking it to boot what, sd(1,a)?
> sd(2,a)?

Yes and no. The boot manager selects sd(1,a) itself automatically. When
trying to mount sd1a as the root, it simply panics for failing to mount
root.

I didn't touch the boot manager (i.e. the [[wd(xvxc)]/kernel][-asdfadf]
selection screen) after finishing installation, unless compiling kernel
would change it.

> > I just wonder why both the new and the original kernels didn't recognize
> > the device names any more. And these two machines used to run FreeBSD
> > 2.0R well.
>
> There's no problem with 'not recognising device names'; the first is an
> odd compatability feature (though I'm mildly surprised that the installer
> got it wrong; it never has for me...), the second appears to be
> a misconfiguration or misunderstanding on your part.  We'll need to know
> what you're giving the bootstrap to boot from in order to answer that.

For 'not recognizing device names' issues, I just wonder why I had to use
the old device name after re-compiling kernel, and even booting with the
*original* kernel (kernel.GENERIC), which had worked just several mintutes
ago. Fortunately , the root could be mounted so I could bring it back.

For the second machine, I didn't touch the bootstrap code ; I just simply
pressed ENTER key to let it go. Is it possible my root partition
corrupted ? If so, how come (not asking you; I'm asking myself 8-) ?

Anyway, here is the config file for the kernel on my first machine (at
my home ) :

--
Yen-Wei Liu

#
# GENERIC -- Generic machine with WD/AHx/NCR/BTx family disks
#
#       GENERIC,v 1.45.2.3 1995/06/05 21:50:41 jkh Exp
#

machine         "i386"
cpu             "I386_CPU"
cpu             "I486_CPU"
cpu             "I586_CPU"
ident           GENERIC
maxusers        10

#options                MATH_EMULATE            #Support for x87 emulation

options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         NFS                     #Network Filesystem
options         LFS
options         MSDOSFS                 #MSDOS Filesystem
options         "CD9660"                #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
options         KERNFS
options         KTRACE
options         "COMPAT_43"             #Compatible with BSD 4.3
options         "SCSI_DELAY=5"          #Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI device
#options                BOUNCE_BUFFERS          #include support for DMA bounce buffers
options         UCONSOLE                #Allow users to grab the console

config          kernel  root on wd0

controller      isa0
controller      pci0

controller      fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk            fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
disk            fd1     at fdc0 drive 1
tape            ft0     at fdc0 drive 2

controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
disk            wd1     at wdc0 drive 1

controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
disk            wd2     at wdc1 drive 0
disk            wd3     at wdc1 drive 1

#controller     ncr0
#controller     ahc0

#controller     bt0     at isa? port "IO_BT0" bio irq ? vector btintr
#controller     uha0    at isa? port "IO_UHA0" bio irq ? drq 5 vector uhaintr
#controller     ahc1    at isa? bio irq ? vector ahcintr
#controller     ahb0    at isa? bio irq ? vector ahbintr
controller      aha0    at isa? port "IO_AHA0" bio irq ? drq 5 vector ahaintr
controller      aic0    at isa? port 0x340 bio irq 11 vector aicintr
#controller     nca0    at isa? port 0x1f88 bio irq 10 vector ncaintr
#controller     nca1    at isa? port 0x350 bio irq 5 vector ncaintr
#controller     sea0    at isa? bio irq 5 iomem 0xc8000 iosiz 0x2000 vector seaintr

controller      scbus0

device          sd0

device          ch0

device          st0

device          cd0     #Only need one of these, the code dynamically grows

options         SCSIDEBUG
options         SCSI_REPORT_GEOMETRY

#device         wt0     at isa? port 0x300 bio irq 5 drq 1 vector wtintr
#device         mcd0    at isa? port 0x300 bio irq 10 vector mcdintr
#device         mcd1    at isa? port 0x340 bio irq 11 vector mcdintr

controller      matcd0  at isa? port 0x300 bio

#device         scd0    at isa? port 0x230 bio

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device          sc0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
# Enable this and PCVT_FREEBSD for pcvt vt220 compatible console driver
#device         vt0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector pcrint
#options                "PCVT_FREEBSD=210"      # pcvt running on FreeBSD 2.1
#options                XSERVER                 # include code for XFree86

device          npx0    at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr
device          sio2    at isa? port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5 vector siointr
device          sio3    at isa? port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9 vector siointr

device          lpt0    at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr
device          lpt1    at isa? port? tty
device          lpt2    at isa? port? tty

# Order is important here due to intrusive probes, do *not* alphabetize
# this list of network interfaces until the probes have been fixed.
# Right now it appears that the ie0 must be probed before ep0. See
# revision 1.20 of this file.
device de0
device ed0 at isa? port 0x280 net irq  5 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr
device ed1 at isa? port 0x300 net irq  5 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr
device ie0 at isa? port 0x360 net irq  7 iomem 0xd0000 vector ieintr
device ep0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 vector epintr
device ix0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 iomem 0xd0000 iosiz 32768 vector ixintr
device le0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 5 iomem 0xd0000 vector le_intr
device lnc0 at isa? port 0x280 net irq 10 drq 0 vector lncintr
device lnc1 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 drq 0 vector lncintr
device ze0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 5 iomem 0xd8000 vector zeintr
device zp0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 iomem 0xd8000 vector zpintr

pseudo-device   loop
pseudo-device   ether
pseudo-device   log
pseudo-device   sl      1
# ijppp uses tun instead of ppp device
#pseudo-device  ppp     1
pseudo-device   tun     1
pseudo-device   pty     16
pseudo-device   gzip            # Exec gzipped a.out's