Date:      Thu, 23 May 2019 07:36:27 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, Alexandru Goia <bsdunix99@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: newbie question

On May 22, 2019 10:05:34 PM PDT, "Rodney W=2E Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh=
=2Ednsmgr=2Enet> wrote:

>your
>and
>and

>answer
>> >
>> > During a somewhat recent session of working with a not new,
>> > but also not seasoned developer, they noted a great deal of
>> > confusion when I was reading through and explaining code
>> > to them when I would actually read "pcb" on screen as
>> > "Process Control Block" when verbalizing it=2E  They could not
>> > see what I had just read to them=2E
>>=20
>> Heh=2E  I ran into something like this decades ago, using an "operating
>> system" that will be nameless=2E
>>=20
>> The program to copy files was=2E=2E=2E IEBCPY=2E  Most people pronounce=
d it
>> "Eye Ee Bee Copy"=2E  And some had their card decks returned after
>hours
>> of queueing to discover that some completion code (13?) saying "NOT
>> FOUND: IEBCOPY"=2E
>
>I think your copy of OS/360 is borked, or is this one of the names
>they mangled in MVS?  I have a vague memory of JCL that had those
>types of issues=2E
>
>> Clearly, we decided, pronouncing names for what they mean is *bad*=2E
>> From then on I spelt names out, or at least tried to pronounce them
>> the way they're spelt ("Eye Ee Bee Cpy")=2E  It confuse[ds] people, but
>> it avoided some misunderstandings=2E
>
>Pronouncing spellings is bad, yes, but that is not what I was
>doing=2E  I was pronouncing the proper full names, usually as
>defined either in "The design and implementation book" or in
>the code comments themselves=2E
>
>I was not saying Pee See Bee for pcb, I was saying process
>control block=2E
>
>>=20
>> Greg

Yeah, there was no IEBCPY=2E Only IEBCOPY, though many sites wrote their o=
wn due to ancient versions of the program were incapable of reblocking data=
sets and borking the DSCB (akin to an inode) in the process=2E

--=20
Pardon the typos and autocorrect, small keyboard in use=2E
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy=2ESchubert@cschubert=2Ecom>
FreeBSD UNIX: <cy@FreeBSD=2Eorg> Web: http://www=2EFreeBSD=2Eorg

	The need of the many outweighs the greed of the few=2E