Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2002 08:18:01 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.ORG>, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Ports List <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Port Mgr <portmgr@FreeBSD.ORG>, eivind@FreeBSD.ORG, Anders Nor Berle <debolaz@debolaz.com>, Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
Subject:   Re: lang/cli (Microsoft Shared Source CLI) committed.

On Saturday 30 March 2002 06:39 am, Alan Eldridge wrote:
| On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 06:27:15AM -0500, Alan Eldridge wrote:

| >>Nope - see ports/lang/cli.
| >
| >No PR? No announcement? No discussion of whether it should be there
| >at all? I really think that it should not have been quietly snuck into the
| >ports tree without anyone at all knowing it was happening.
| >
| >At the very least, I think you should disable fetching (the way the jdk
| >ports do). If it can be automatically fetched you are placing people at
| >legal risk, possibly without their knowledge. I'm sure M$ keeps track of
| >every IP address that downloads that source tarball. IMO it would be
| >even better if it was removed until it is officially cleared to be
| >there, if it's deemed safe[1].
| >
| >Note:
| >[1] Running over a minefield is "safe", for certain values of "safe".
| >--
| >AlanE
| >"Fine. Get your money." -- Micro$oft's Craig Mundie, responding to
| >comment about the cost of defending against patent infringment claims.
| >http://linux.oreillynet.com/lpt/a/linux/2001/08/09/oscon_panel.html
|
| Correction of "subject" line: question is not whether to commit, but
| what to do now that it's happened.

Suggestion:  Keep a "port" of cli which doesn't fetch, build or anything else
at *all* but merely prints a message saying that cli cannot be included or
supported in any FreeBSD for legal reasons and that anybody who downloads,
reads, or even thinks about it is on their own.

Make the pkg-list empty, the pkg-descr describe why it's a terrible idea to
touch the program, etc.

Having such a "dummy port" would help prevent anybody else from going off and
trying to create the port later.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org