Date:      Sun, 13 May 2001 22:59:18 -0500
From:      Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
To:        Jeff Kolp <linux@icpn.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make installworld fails on: devascii

On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 10:40:50PM -0500, Doug Poland wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 04:54:42PM -0400, Jeff Kolp wrote:
> > its a hardware problem, same happened to me. I had my celeron 366
> > overclocked to 550. Runs fine that way with windows. Wouldn't handle the
> > updates and such with BSD. I changed clock speed and was good to go.
> >
> > could be memory or video or anything causing this. Check all bios settings.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Jk
> > Ps you'll need to start from beginning. I didn't the first time and hours
> > later I got done and still was RELEASE version. Has since started over and
> > running STABLE version now
> >
> Ouch!  This is a 80486 100MHz box and build takes about 24 hours!  Oh well,
> it's just my squid proxy.

Well, I cvsup'd / make buildworld / and make installworld blew up again at the
same spot.  From the amount of build/make failures running across the list
in the last few days I'd say something was up.  Here's the error again...

===> gnu/usr.bin/groff/font/devascii
Making R
expr: not found
*** Error code 127

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff/font/devascii
*** Error code 1

So how does one trouble shoot these?  I've done 5 machines
in the last week and everything went flawlessly.  Can I somehow
skip or exclude this directory?  Can I get something from a
machine that has successfully build/installed?  Since this
is an install, is a bad build the underlying problem or what?
At this point, if I bring the machine back up to multi-user
mode, what am I running?  A mixture of 4.2-STABLE and 4.3-STABLE?
Is that a problem?

Thanks for all your help so far...

Regards,
Doug