Date:      Sat, 1 Jun 2002 09:41:09 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@sinbad.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: firewall question

On Saturday 01 June 2002 08:45 am, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to set up my firewall, and I am following one of the O'Reilly
> howto's.  I don't see instructions in there for me to edit the
> /etc/rc.firewall, but I was looking at that file, and it includes ip
> addresses that do not match my actual ip address, netmask, etc.
>
> For instance, it says ip is 192.0.0.1.  Do I need to change these values to
> match my actual fxp0 values?  I would think the O'Reilly would tell me if I
> needed to change those values, but it doesn't.  I would also think that
> those values should match the actual values, but they don't.
>
> Can someone help me out here?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Eric

The entries in rc.firewall are examples and starting points. There is no "one
size fits all" and you will need to develop your own rules. If you are going
to use one of the example configs as a starting point you will need to edit
it to match your own interfaces and IP's.  The manpages and handbook are your
friends.

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/firewalls.html

Beech

      Beech Rintoul - SysAdmin - akbeech@sinbad.net
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Sinbad Network Communications
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 3101 Penland Parkway #K-38
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99508-1957