Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 14:21:48 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache server log

On 09/27/01 11:30 AM, Marius Kirschner sat at the `puter and typed:
> Yep, that's Nimda, alright.  Nothing you have to worry about if you run
> a unix system.

Correct.  However, there's no reason you can't do something about it.
You've heard of Apache::CodeRed?  Well, it's a mod_perl handler.  It
handles the requests for default.ida by looking up the requesting IP
and sending a warning to the web admin and abuse authorities as well
as securityfocus.com.

I've hacked Apache::CodeRed to create Apache::Nimda.  No great effort
really, the hard part is getting the correct <LocationMatch regex>
expression.  Reuven Lerner wrote Apache::CodeRed, and I've really only
made one small improvement to send a message to the parent domain
abuse address (an attack from acadia.ne.mediaone.net should result in
a message to abuse@mediaone.net, not abuse@ne.mediaone.net).
Otherwise, the LocationMatch expression is the real key.  Here is the
list of URLs I am seeing (sorry for the long lines):

1:  http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net/scripts/root.exe?/c+dir
2:  http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net/MSADC/root.exe?/c+dir
3:  http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net/c/winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir
4:  http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net/d/winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir
5:  http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net/scripts/..%255c../winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir
6:  http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net/_vti_bin/..%255c../..%255c../..%255c../winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir
7:  http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net/_mem_bin/..%255c../..%255c../..%255c../winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir
8:  http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net/msadc/..%255c../..%255c../..%255c/..%c1%1c../..%c1%1c../..%c1%1c../winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir
9:  http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net/scripts/..%c1%1c../winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir
10: http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net/scripts/..%c0%2f../winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir
11: http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net/scripts/..%c0%af../winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir
12: http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net/scripts/..%c1%9c../winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir
13: http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net/scripts/..%25%35%63../winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir
14: http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net/scripts/..%252f../winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir

Here is the LocationMatch section I am using now:

  # Handle nimda attacks.
  <LocationMatch (cmd\.exe|root\.exe)>
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlHandler Apache::Nimda
  </LocationMatch>

It seems to miss one of the urls - #10, IIRC.  I'm not as skilled with
regexps as I would like to be, so I'm not sure how to include all of
them yet.  Still trying a couple things.

As for where it is, I've notified the author of the original
Apache::CodeRed module, for his feedback since I want to be sure I am
giving proper credit where it is due.  I have given him the URL to
take a look at it, but the contacts at securityfocus have not been
finalized.  Right now, they are getting Nimda notices from me and
probably wondering what the heck is going on.  I would like to wait
until I have the correct expression and some kind of feedback from the
author, but I will likely release the module to the GP this weekend.

Any feedback/ideas/etc. would be welcome.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ