Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2000 18:45:46 +0000
From:      Daniel Leal <dleal@webvolution.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   program don't start

Hi everyone !

I am running FreeBSD 4.1-release in my PII-300 and I enjoy it a lot !!
I'm a newbie. I am trying to learn something about Unix security and because of
that I installed the program 'sniff'. But when I am in my windowmaker session
and I try to run the program (sniff) the system tells me:
"program not found"
When I do:
# whereis sniff
the system answers me:
"/usr/local/man/man1/sniff.1.gz  /usr/ports/security/sniff"
but I can find it in:
"/usr/local/sbin/sniff"
And if I try to run it with the full name (/usr/local/sbin/sniff) it works fine.
The PATH in my .profile (root's)  have de directory ... : /usr/local/sbin : ...
When I am not running X there is no problem and I can start de sniff program
simply doing "sniff".

Why is this happening ?
Can somebody help me with this please ?