Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 12:52:48 +0900
From:      Yoshinobu Inoue <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>
To:        lw@pd.chel.ru
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD4 & IP v.6

> Hello!
>
>    I'm just upgraded from 3.4s to 4.0s and now my machine appears to
> have IP6 addresses. But really there are none of them, and i have no
> any routers around theat support IP6. Is IP6 mandatory for FreeBSD4 or
> i can safely removed them? Is commenting appropriate entries in kernel
> enought for doing that?

It is not mandatory, so you can remove the support by removing
INET6 option from your kernel config file.

But even if you don't have direct IPv6 neighbor, you can play
with it by IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling.

Here is some info about such tunneling,

http://www.kame.net/newsletter/19990513/

And also now there is 6to4 which gives you some global IPv6
addr block and IPv6 connectivity immediately.
It is described in draft-ietf-ngtrans-6to4-0*.txt,
and you can use it via interface stf.

The stf usage is written in `man stf` and you can setup it
easily by adding
  stf_interface_ipv4addr="your ipv4 addr"
in your /etc/rc.conf.

Cheers,