Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:57:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Erik Gault" <e@gaultopia.org>
To:        "Ken Smith" <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mirror Site Coordinator?

I think having a Mirror Coordinator could be a great idea depending on
what it is they do.  My suggestion would be their duties go something
like:

1) Keep familiar with the overall state of the mirrors, the list of
official mirrors and basic data about them (location, connectivity, do
they carry things besides freebsd), and maintain a list of contact
information for all the mirror operators.  Act as the contact point for
any mirror related questions or problems.

2) Create and maintain web pages with mirror statistics.  Providing some
example scripts for collecting basic statistics (traffic levels, number of
ftpd/cvsupd processes running, number of ISO downloads) and encouraging
the mirror operators to use them and provide them at a standard url for
collection could go a long way.  I think this is very important.  The
releng people will be interested to get a better idea of distribution and
numbers they can use in little marketing snippets, mirror operators will
be able to see how they compare to other mirrors, and people considering
starting a new mirror will be able to get a real feel for what they can
expect in their region.  See http://ftp2.freebsd.org/etc/ and
http://cvsup2.freebsd.org/stats/ for simple examples of what I'm talking
about.  Doesn't need to be anything involving imaginary 17th-degree
calculus, just some basic trend data that gives a clear picture of how
busy the mirror is (I realize many mirrors offer lots of collections in
addition to freebsd, but I don't think that's a difficult problem to get
around as far as providing meaningful stats).

3) Approve/deny requests for new "official" mirrors.  Most of the time
people offering to become a new mirror send an email to hubs@ explaining
their connectivity and server and ending with something along the lines
of, "would this be useful?"  The Mirror Coordinator would actually be able
to give them an educated answer to that question: "yes, a new US mirror on
that AS would be useful", or "no thank you, there are already several very
lightly loaded mirrors in that same country and another one will probably
serve little purpose".  The dnsadm's for the various cc's will know that
requests for names for new official mirrors will only come from the Mirror
Coordinator already approved.

4) Maintain the handbook sections and any other official documentation
pertaining to mirrors: list of official mirrors, how to become one, etc.

I think this would be useful, easy to understand, doesn't complicate any
existing processes, and doesn't step on anyone's toes.

Erik