Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2001 12:54:24 -0700
From:      Fred Condo <fred@condo.chico.ca.us>
To:        Erin Fortenberry <efortenb@sdccd.cc.ca.us>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sendmail

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 12:42:45PM -0700, Erin Fortenberry wrote:
> My goal is for sendmail to not listen to anyports, only on lo0 if needed.
> This machine is a web server and I keep getting people attaching to ports 25
> to try and relay email. I could just block the port, but I would think
> sendmail could be configured to shut off the port itself.

You don't need to have sendmail listen on the loopback. When you send
mail from the local system (with pine or mutt, for example), the MUA
will invoke sendmail to deliver the mail. The sendmail -q1h running in
the background will retry mail that can't immediately be sent. So you
don't need a listening daemon at all.

( fred@condo.chico.ca.us Repeal the DMCA. Free Dmitry. )