Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 2003 08:05:28 -0700
From:      Joshua Oreman <oremanj@get-linux.org>
To:        Marco Gon?alves <marco@aces.pt>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cvsup script question

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 03:32:25PM +0100 or thereabouts, Marco Gon?alves wrote:
> Hi, i did some minor alterations to the script by
>
> #!/usr/local/bin/bash
>
> /usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 0 /etc/cvsupfile # Keep quiet except for errors
> /usr/local/sbin/portsdb -Uu > /dev/null     # Hopefully, show only errors
> /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb -aF
> /bin/echo
> /bin/echo "Updated ports:"
> /usr/local/sbin/portversion | grep "<"      # Show only changed ports
>
> but strangly, at least for me, is that the 2nd line the output is
> not being redirected to /dev/null and if i execute this script i
> still get lots of output...

I bet portsdb is putting its progress messages on standard output. (Programs
seem to do that a lot, since stderr is unbuffered). Try:
/usr/local/sbin/portsdb -Uu >/dev/null 2>&1 || { echo "FAILED to run portsdb"; exit 1 }

That will not give you the error output, but if there's an error it will say so and exit.
(You can run portsdb manually and see!)

-- Josh