Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 2004 15:31:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        danny_browne@eircom.net
Subject:   Re: Running commands at startup

> This will probobly seem like such a basic question, but where can do i put
> commands i want to run at startup.
>
> freeBSD 4.10
>
> i want to run (for example)
>
> alias 'ls=ls -G'
> alias 'vi=vim'
> alias 'shutdown=shutdown -h now'
> etc...

You should put alias commands in your shell startup script.
That would be .cshrc for csh and tcsh and .profile for sh and bash.
There are also system wide startup scripts for each of these so you
can make everyone have those aliases.

Some things like path commands work better in the .login startup script
because you may want to add to a path rather than set from scratch each
time and if you add in a shell startup, the path can get unnecessarily long.

Things that you really want to execute at system startup need to go
in either /etc/rc.local or better, in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/
See man pages for rc.d

////jerry

> Also, i am running fluxbox, but my mouse is very slow when it starts up. at the moment i have to enter xset m 5/1 in the terminal to speed it up. How can i get fluxbox do do this at startup?

Never used fluxbox.