Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 2004 17:46:58 -0500
From:      Jay Moore <jaymo@cromagnon.cullmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Dave <mudman@metafocus.net>
Subject:   Re: Disabling DHCP

On Saturday 19 June 2004 05:11 pm, Geert Hendrickx wrote:

> > I want to turn DHCP on my router off.
> > How can I use FreeBSD to get an IP addresss from it?  When the system
> > boots, it runs dhclient, which hangs for awhile before getting anything.
> >
> > What is the better way?
>
> Using a fixed IP, by adding
>
> 	defaultrouter="192.168.1.2"
> 	ifconfig_ed1="inet 192.168.1.210  netmask 255.255.255.0"
>
> to your /etc/rc.conf (be sure to substitute your device and the correct
> ip's), and listing the nameserver(s) in /etc/resolv.conf
>
> That way you won't need your DHCP-server anymore.

I think this advice is correct if the router is set up just so. It could break
your network connection if not.

What sort of service do you have? e.g. DSL, cable modem, T1, ...?

Did your ISP assign you a fixed IP address (or block of addresses)?

More information might help you get a better quality answer. If nothing else,
type 'ifconfig -a' & post that result here.

hth,
Jay