Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:38:58 -0500
From:      "Haulmark, Chris" <chris@sigd.net>
To:        "Murray Taylor" <murraytaylor@bytecraftsystems.com>
Cc:        simon.roberts@earthlink.net
Subject:   RE: Network monitoring

Someone broke the silence:=20

> On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 08:27, Haulmark, Chris wrote:
>> Someone broke the silence:
>>=20
>>> I apologize that this probably isn't the most relevant
>>> list to ask this on. Suggestions for better lists will be welcome.
>>>=20
>>> I'm trying to monitor traffice on a 100BaseT ethernet
>>> network link. I split the line, put a "hub" in and am
>>> trying to run tcpdump on a box off the side of the
>>> hub.
>>>=20
>>> Unfortunately, it turns out the hub isn't a hub, it's
>>> a "switching hub" (what's not a switch about this? I
>>> don't get it). Consequently, all I see are arp
>>> packets, bootp packets, and the odd broadcast. I went
>>> to a local store to buy a hub, and guess what, they
>>> sold me another switching hub, so that has to be
>>> returned :(
>>>=20
>>> So, the question is, can anyone tell me the
>>> manufacturer and product name of a real (dumb) hub? I
>>> could use 10baseT instead if necessary, I just need
>>> something cheap that is a simple repeater. Of course,
>>> nobody advertizes "our hub really is a totally dumb
>>> hub, not like those fancy switching hubs the
>>> competition sells" ;>
>>>=20
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>=20
>>=20
>> I ran into the similar problem.  I just looked elsewhere
> for a cheap hub. Ebay was the favorite place for me.  For
> you, just swing by a Pop/Mom/Family kind of computer stores.
> They might sell few old hubs that doesn't have switching
> capabilities at a low price.
>>=20
>> Chris Haulmark
>>=20
>>> Thanks
>>> Simon
>>>=20
>>>=20
> Would this work for you
>=20
> 1 - install a second NIC in the BSD box
> 2 - configure it as a bridge with no IP numbers on the NICs
>      (Ahm jist sittin' 'ere, passin' stuff thru!)
> 3 - tcpdump -i fxp0      or      tcpdump -i fxp1
>      as appropriate
>=20
> A NIC is easier to get than a dumb hub these days ...

This is a reasonable answer for a home based network or a less critical =
network. Ethernet tap would be what I would recommend for an enterprise =
environment.  A dumb hub can be pretty decent if you're a small business =
employee with a T1 connection.  If you were to do bridging, should and =
would you risk having to come in middle of the night because of a =
hardware failure on the bridge machine?

For the time being, I am currently using an IDS machine hooked up to the =
hub while the t1 router is hooked up to the hub along with the main =
switch hooked up to the hub.

For our colocation facility, I've ordered an ethernet tap and might =
cancel it because I just realized that the current switch is a cisco and =
there's high possiblity that it will support SPAN (port mirroring?).

Chris Haulmark