Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:05:43 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
Cc:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FAQ confusion

--==_Exmh_-653445994P

If memory serves me right, Ceri Davies wrote:

> > For the Web site, I (somewhat clumsily) attempted to define the concept
> > of multiple releases that could be considered "current".  At the time,
> > it was critical that we be able to do this without changing the files
> > that didn't need to express this concept.  The result can be seen in
> > revision 1.12 of www/en/includes.xsl and revision 1.55 of
> > www/en/includes.sgml.  This is a gross hack, but it kind of fit at the
> > time.
>
> I saw the commit, but didn't look at the deltas yet;  I'll do so.
>
> I also hesitate to suggest this, but if this can't be fixed soon (and I'm
> very sorry, but I *know* I can't do it "soon"), it just might be worth
> manually editing that part of the FAQ, as I assume that we'll have a lot
> more users looking at this over the next few weeks.  Yes, it's cvs-hell,
> but at least it won't look silly ;)

OK, done.  Please see the following commit:

-----

bmah        2003/01/24 13:58:17 PST

  Modified files:
    en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq book.sgml
  Log:
  "Fix" the FAQ so that it can deal with the concept of two "latest"
  releases of FreeBSD (at the moment, 4.7 and 5.0).

  This is a hack.  It really needs to be fixed to be more generalized
  and so that this concept can be used in documents other than the FAQ.

  But at least for now, we don't say weird things like "5.0-RELEASE is
  the latest release from the 4-STABLE branch".

  Revision  Changes    Path
  1.509     +40 -4     doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/book.sgml

-----

We need to do this much cleaner.  Probably this involves defining
entities in doc/share/sgml/freebsd.ent, similar to what I did for the
Web site (but pick better names).  We might also think about
entity-izing the names of branches, like I do in the release
documentation.  Finally, someone familiar with the Handbook might want
to make a pass through that document to see if anything needs fixing.

I disclaim ownership of this task...I'm still decompressing from
5.0-RELEASE.  We have until 4.8 to get this fixed correctly, so there's
a little time to toss this idea around on the list.

Cheers,

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-653445994P

--==_Exmh_-653445994P--