Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 23:43:02 -0500
From:      trini0 <trini0@optonline.net>
To:        Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   DNS Part II

Hey, all.  Purely a newbie experiment here.  I set up a box running
named purely for name resolution, and mail services just for my little
lan.  I used the o'reilly dns book to aid me.  With everything done,
nameresolution did what it was supposed to do.  I noticed that there
were multiple queries going out on the net to the root servers.  I
didn't want that to happen, (didn't know if it was illegal or proper).
I changed my db.cache file to just say that my box was the "root"
server.  Now that solved the multiple queries going to the root servers,
but now Im unable to "nslookup" outside my lan, but yet I can still
surf, send email, etc...  My resolve.conf file specifies to use my
nameserver first and then my ISP's primary then secondary.  Am I going
about things wrongly. Is it even possible to have a private dns box
where it resolves for the lan, and if queries aren't found there, to go
and query my ISP's name servers??  Hope I made a little bit of sense....
Thanks for listening.
trini0