Date:      Sat, 5 Jun 1999 17:43:23 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RE: net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive on as default ?

Garrett Wollman scribbled this message on Jun 5:
> <<On Sat, 5 Jun 1999 16:09:00 -0400 (EDT), Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org> said:
>
> > FWIW, I think only a fool would want a computer to NOT drop dead connections.
> > Any "connection" that doesn't respond after 8 $^&! tries spaced FAR apart does
> > NOT deserve to stay.
>
> If they are spaced too far apart, it is possible for perfectly
> legitimate connections to get shot down as a result of external
> periodicities.  (Does somebody's router reset every day at 2:45?  If
> so, better hope no keepalives are scheduled for then!)

yes, but are routers normally down for a couple hours??  if they are,
you have other problems than worring about connections...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                              Voice: +1 541 684 8449
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  "The soul contains in itself the event that shall presently befall it.
  The event is only the actualizing of its thought." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson