Date:      Sun, 24 Apr 2005 18:33:00 -0400
From:      ChrisC <chrisc123@cox.net>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where to find good/cheap tech support

   Thanks for the reply.
   -
   I have tried posting the problem in the bsdforums.com as well as on
   this mailing list but no one seems to be able to help.
   -
   In my mind there is always the possibility of a problem being a pebkac
   but this problem only occurs with FreeBSD. The SCSI controller works
   fine when I load RedHat Fedora Core 3 or Windows 2000 Pro.
   Unfortunately I don't know much about FreeBSD to do much trouble
   shooting myself so I might just have to go with another OS on this
   specific server.
   -
   Here is a copy of my original email/problem.
   -
   I am attempting to install FreeBSD 5.3 onto a new server, but during
   the initial bootup it fails / times out from what I think is it trying
   to initialize the SCSI adapter. The server has an Adaptec AIC-7902
   dual-channel Ultra320 SCSI controller which the i386 ahd(4) driver has
   listed as a supported device.
   -
   I have been reading and searching this lists archives as well as the
   bsdforums.org site for possible solutions, but so far what I have
   found has not worked. I have tried disabling/enabling ACPI, removing
   all but one SCSI drive and re-checking the adapter settings comparing
   them to a different Adaptec controller on another server running
   FreeBSD 5.3 which works fine. The servers BIOS and firmware is all up
   to date and is mainly running on its default settings.
   -
   Here is a summary of what I am seeing during bootup:
   -
   Ata1-master : FAILURE ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out
   Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
   -------Dump Card State Ends-------
   (probe29:ahd1:0:15:0) SCB0xe timed out
   ahd0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset 4 SCBs aborted
   -
   Thanks again for taking time to reply.