Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2011 00:47:58 +0100
From:      Olli Hauer <ohauer@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Mark Terribile <materribile@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: Returning with question about SELECTIVELY updating ports tree

On 2011-01-19 00:00, Mark Terribile wrote:

> Hi,

[...]
> If there is a way to do this with portsnap, please tell me how.  I've tried the -I option but it seems to want me to do the extract which (according to the man page) will wipe out the whole tree.
>
>     Mark Terribile

Protect your ports tree
$> cd /usr/
$> mv ports ports_save && mkdir ports && portsnap extract

This way you have your old and a fresh ports tree available.
Portsnap checks the file ports/.portsnap.INDEX to see which
ports have updates without this file portsnap extracts the
whole tree.

Now you can check with diff what has changed in your needed
ports. In most of the cases you can merge the ports in the
saved tree to newer versions.