Date:      Thu, 06 Jan 2005 15:50:31 -0600
From:      Laurence Sanford <lauasanf@wilderness.dyn.dhs.org>
To:        "Joseph Koenig (jWeb)" <joe@jwebmedia.com>
Subject:   Re: Remote upgrade possible?

Joseph Koenig (jWeb) wrote:

>I have a freebsd 4.9 system that I'd like to get upgraded to 4.10 and then
>soon to 4.11. However, the server is not physically in front of me, nor do I
>have physical access to it. Is it possible still to upgrade it, or do I need
>to physically get in front of the machine somehow? Thanks,

This is possible, however you are always taking a chance when you
installworld without going to single user mode first. That said, I make
a habit out of pushing my luck with systems I have in front of me by
going so far as to make installworld while using an xterm in X-windows.
That said, if you ssh in, and shut down as many things as you can (web
servers, mail processes, etc) you should be fine doing this from a
distance. The downside is, in the rare event that it does bomb, you're
stuck until you can actually get to the box, or unless someone
reasonably competent can get to it.