Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:40:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        judmarc@fastmail.fm (Jud)
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Resizing disk partitons?

> On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 15:21:28 -0400, stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:
>
> > I've got a laptop with a single hard disk that is curently paritioned
> > into
> > 3 partions. 1 for FreeBSD, 1 for linux Swap, and a 3rd for Linux.
> >
> > I've got an application that requires a M$ OS. Is there a way I can
> > repartion this drive without having to reinstall bith my other OS'es?
>
> I don't know the answer, but have two possibilities to suggest for further
> research: Partition Magic and gpart (with or without gui front ends).  I
> don't know if the former mangles non-Win partitions when resizing, and
> I've never used the latter.

Partition Magic and others can handle the resizing.  That is the
easy part.  The hard part is moving the contents of the slices.
They don't do that.   Generally I think you will have to back up
everything, recreate the slices and create boot records and then
restore everything.   If you can buy a nice [bigger] disk and add
it, and then build things on the new disk and then switch it in to
the boot position, that would probably be the easiest and cleanest
way to do it.

////jerry