Date:      13 Jul 95 19:14:00 (+0300)
From:      jteitelbaum@unog.ch
To:        questions@freebsd.org

     I have problems with the floppy disk drive on a newly
     installed PC FreeBsd UNIX (the installation program
     did a great job, everything seems to be working, except...)

     When I boot the PC, there is a message telling me that
     my floppy disk drive is not correctly configured. So I
     change the System Setup, but that solves nothing (I think
     that actually, the settings are correct).

     I have installed the bindinst files, and the man pages,
     and now, when I try to install other things (using the
     bininst program), the program refuses to read the floppy.

     I also did lsdev, and Unix told me that fd0 was my floppy
     disk drive.

     So I put the boot floppy into the drive, and did:

     disklabel -r fd0

     It answered:

     fd0c:hard error reading fsbn0 of 0-15
     STO40 <abnrml> ST1 <no_am> ST2 0 cyl 0 hd 0 sec 1
     disklabel : /dev/rfdc0: Input/output error

     Now I don't know what else I can do. I would appreciate any
     help, not to technical, because I'm pretty new to
     that UNIX thing.

     Thanks for replying something!

                               Juan, writing from the United Nations
                               Office at Geneva