Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 09:06:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@cpl.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moving between Mylex cards?

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Chris Dillon wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Shawn Ramsey wrote:
>
> > Has anyone ever moved a RAID config from say an AcceleRAID 150 to an
> > ExtremeRAID 1100 or 2000? I talked to Mylex and they say there _shouldn't_
> > be a problem. With COD (configuration on disk) the RAID config should be
> > automatically recognized and work like before...
> >

> There is definately no problem if you're using a RAID1 (mirroring)
> array.  You can even take a unit out of a RAID1 array and attach it to
> a standard SCSI controller and it will work fine.

  And you've done that?  That will not work on most controllers, because
of the config on disk.  It is stored on the beginning of each disk.
Since I can move disks from channel to channel and id to id, and the
controller still knows which physical disks belong to which logical disk
set, I would have to say that you are going to have a problem.

Tom