Date:      Wed, 18 Jan 2017 16:21:54 +1100
From:      Yudi V <yudi.tux@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   issues upgrading from 10.1-RELEASE to 11-RELEASE

hi

I tried updating from 10.1 to 11-RELEASE, did not go well.
current system:
$ uname -a
FreeBSD xxxxxxx 10.1-RELEASE-p41 FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p41 #0: Fri Oct 21
23:03:01 UTC 2016
root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
amd64

first I cloned the OS filesystem and then booted to the cloned fiesystem
and then upgraded the OS following:
https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.0R/installation.html
also read https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.0R/relnotes.html#upgrade

did not notice anything that suggested I would run into problems.

Steps I followed:

            # freebsd-update fetch
            # freebsd-update install
            # freebsd-update upgrade -r 11.0-RELEASE
                Error:
                     # freebsd-update upgrade -r 11.0-RELEASE
                    Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors
found.
                    Fetching metadata signature for 10.1-RELEASE from
update6.freebsd.org... done.
                    Fetching metadata index... done.
                    Fetching 1 metadata files... done.
                    Inspecting system... done.

                    The following components of FreeBSD seem to be
installed:
                    kernel/generic world/base world/doc world/lib32

                    The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be
installed:
                    src/src world/games

                    Does this look reasonable (y/n)? y

                    Fetching metadata signature for 11.0-RELEASE from
update6.freebsd.org... done.
                    Fetching metadata index... done.
                    Fetching 1 metadata patches. done.
                    Applying metadata patches... done.
                    Fetching 1 metadata files... done.

                    The update metadata is correctly signed, but
                    failed an integrity check.
                    Cowardly refusing to proceed any further.

                Solution is to upgrade to 10.3 first as suggested by
someone in the IRC channel.
                        freebsd-update upgrade -r 10.3-RELEASE
                        # freebsd-update install
                        # shutdown -r now
                        # freebsd-update install
//installs userland components
                        # freebsd-update fetch
                        # freebsd-update install                  //
rebuilds 3rd party apps

                        # shutdown -r now                             //
final reboot

                EVerything looked fine with 10.3 upgrade, proceeded to
11-RELEASE upgrade

            # freebsd-update upgrade -r 11.0-RELEASE                 //no
errors this time,
            # freebsd-update install
            # shutdown -r now
            # freebsd-update install                   //installs userland
components
            # freebsd-update install
            # shutdown -r now                             // final reboot

after reboot, logged in and tried:
$ screen
Shared object "libelf.so.1" not found, required by "screen"
SAMBA failed sanity check,

$ pkg update
Shared object "libssl.so.7" not found, required by "pkg"

Again someone in the IRC channel suggested I try  # pkg-static install -f
pkg         to fix the pkg issue.

and to fix all of them, they suggested I do:
#fetch
http://ftp0.bme.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/11.0-RELEASE/base.txz;
tar -xzf base.txz -C / --exclude etc

Before I go ahead and replace the base system files, I would like to know
what went wrong.
because I cloned the OS filesystem, I can go back and re-do it properly if
the problem was at my end.
Any suggestions?
or should I log a PR?

regards