Date:      Sun, 26 Jun 2005 01:57:33 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein-freebsd-questions@theloosingend.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Chop off end of file

I have a ~70GB, of which the last ~50GB is garbage. I know exactly at what
byte I want to cut the file, but I do not have enough free diskspace to do

   dd if=orig of=pre bs=... count=....

Is it possible to just chop off the end of a file, without making a copy
of its beginning? It's a dv-file, resulting from "fwcontrol -R". I left my
home and forgot about it. When I returned home, the disk was full, and now
I need to delete the garbage. I know at exactly what byte to cut the
stream.

Svein Halvor